Right to Compensation
and Reimbursement of Expenses

Can a court award Compensation to me?
Sometimes a court will award compensation to a victim of a crime; this is a decision for the court
A Compensation order requires an offender convicted of an offence to pay compensation to a person for personal injury, loss, or damage caused directly or indirectly, or alarm or distress caused directly against whom or against whose property the acts constituting the offence were directed.
The offender pays the money to the court, and the court then passes it on to the victim.

I have been injured because of a violent crime – can I be compensated?
Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme - The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is responsible for administering the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme throughout England, Scotland and Wales. They pay compensation to eligible applicants who have been the victim of a violent crime, for example a physical assault or sexual offence.

For more information visit the CICA website or you can call 0300 003 3601. The CICA also works closely with organisations such as Victim Support Scotland who can provide information and assistance.
You may also be able to get information about compensation from other places, including a solicitor, or Citizens Advice Scotland.

Can I claim back expenses such as travel and childcare?
Using the form on the back of your witness citation, you can claim expenses for travelling to and from the court and an allowance for meals. Cash payments are only made in cases of genuine hardship or emergency. Exceptional costs such as taxi fares, air travel and overnight accommodation must be approved by the procurator fiscal in advance.
Claims can be made for loss of earnings for witnesses who are employed and self-employed. There are no childcare facilities at court buildings so prosecution witnesses can claim expenses for childcare and babysitting at fixed rates. If you need to organise care cover in your absence, you will be reimbursed at a fixed rate.

The police took some of my property as part of an investigation – can I get them back?
Property is returned by the police once the case is finished and the appeal period has passed, which is usually around six to eight weeks. Your police officer or local Victim Support Service can provide more information about how to go about this.